Ad loading

Are there any surgeries that can fix my hearing loss? The doctor says it's 'age related' ...

Jasmine Burrington, AuD

Clinical Doctor of Audiology

27 April 2018 - 1.61K Views

Without looking at your audiogram, I suspect your hearing loss is not medically treatable at this time. When a hearing loss is age related, this means it is due to damage to the microscopic stereocilia in your inner ear. Hearing loss from this part of your ear, the inner ear (or cochlea), is treatable using hearing aid technology specifically programmed to make the soft sounds you're currently hearing more clear and keep loud sounds from becoming uncomfortable. Ask your audiologist for details regarding the latest in hearing technology that can help you with the best sound quality for your hearing levels.

Upvote (2) Downvote Reply

Audiologist in West Hampstead

27 April 2018 - 1.57K Views

I think unless a full audiological assessment has been carried out saying it is age related isn't possible. 

If you are referring to a GP (General Practitioner) examining your ears, seeing no wax & then deciding the cause is presbyacusis (age related hearing loss) they may well be correct but not many GP's I know do or are qualified to carry out hearing assessments.

Definitely see an audiology professional to have a full assesment as there are certain kinds of losses which can be corrected surgically.

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Matt Watson, HIS

Hearing Instrument Specialist

27 April 2018 - 1.61K Views

There are some types of hearing loss known as "Conductive" that can be treated medically or through surgery, but the vast majority cannot.  If your hearing loss is typical age related hearing loss than there is no medical intervention.  The cochlea, being a fluid filled opening in your skull is too small and delicate to perform any kind of surgery on at this time.  If the hearing loss progressed to the point that a traditional hearing aid was no longer able to cope, then a surgically implanted device known as a cochlear implant would be the next step.  This is only done in cases where there is no other option.  Your best bet is to speak to an Audiologist or Hearing Instrument Specialist in your area who can give you more detailed answers, and options for amplification.  Best of luck!

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Sheri Gostomelsky, AuD

Doctor of Audiology

27 April 2018 - 1.58K Views

What you describe is most common.  As we age the hearimg nerve ages too!  That being said, surgery is not a solution for damage to the auditory nerve.  It is fortunate that this condition can be corrected with hearing devices.

Upvote Downvote Reply

Mark Butler, AAS

Hearing Healthcare Provider

27 April 2018 - 1.58K Views

Hearing loss is divided into two main categories.  Conductive loss usually involves the outer or middle ear and can often be corrected with surgery.  Sensori-neural hearing loss involves the inner ear with permanent damage to the cilia on the hearing nerves themselves.  This is the most common type of loss, usually from noise exposure.  Some people have mixed hearing loss that includes both types.  Age-related hearing loss is a broad term that describes hearing that gets worse with age.  While it is more typical for this type of loss to be sensori-neural there are some age-related issues that may also cause a conductive loss.  A thorough hearing test by a qualified hearing aid specialist or audiologist should give an indication of which type of loss you have.  If there is conductive loss present then you should seen an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor for further evaluation to determine if surgery is an option.  If your loss is only of the sensori-neural variety then the typical course of action is to be fitted with hearing aids that will compensate for the amount of loss.

Upvote Downvote Reply


This Website Does Not Provide Medical Advice. All material on this Website is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion of information on this site does not imply any medical advice, recommendation or warranty. Answers provided should not be considered a substitute for the advice of health professionals who are familiar with your specific medical history. Experts who provide advice via "Expert Answers" assume no liability for the accuracy or completeness of, nor any liability to update, the information provided. Expert answers and comments may be removed at any time, at the discretion of the moderators, without notice.