Ad loading

I can't clear my right ear when I hold my nose and blow. It's been two days. Should I go to my doctor?

Vincent D'Auria, AuD

Doctor of Audiology

09 March 2020 - 2.37K Views

You should absolutely make an appointment to see an audiologist, but make sure you find one that is associated with an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT). An audiologist is capable of ruling out wax or a foreign body in your ear that may be causing the clogged sensation. He/She will also be able to check your middle ear function to see if there is anything wrong with your eardrum, ossicles (bones), or middle ear space. They will also be able to determine if you have any hearing loss.

However, there is something called Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss, that typically affects only one ear. If this is something that you are experiencing it is STRONGLY recommended to seek medical treatment withing 72 hours of the onset. Again this might not be your case, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Zhanneta Shapiro, AuD


09 March 2020 - 2.37K Views

There can be many reasons for what you are experiencing with your right ear.  It is important to find out the cause of the "clogged feeling" in your ear.  Go to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor or an audiologist.  The right diagnosis will be important for the proper intervention.  Feel better.

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Louis Sieminski, PhD

Hearing Healthcare Provider

09 March 2020 - 2.37K Views

I would see both an Audiologist and an ENT ASAP to correctly evaluate your hearing. Get a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment. There is an outside chance you have a Sudden Sensorineural Hearing loss. This type of loss needs proper diagnosis and treatment as quickly as possible.
Upvote (1) Downvote Reply


This Website Does Not Provide Medical Advice. All material on this Website is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion of information on this site does not imply any medical advice, recommendation or warranty. Answers provided should not be considered a substitute for the advice of health professionals who are familiar with your specific medical history. Experts who provide advice via "Expert Answers" assume no liability for the accuracy or completeness of, nor any liability to update, the information provided. Expert answers and comments may be removed at any time, at the discretion of the moderators, without notice.