Ad loading

I get a lot of moisture in my ears from my hearing aids and I get a bad smell and have to use ear drops frequently. Would the Eargo help to prevent this problem?

C. Scott Mills, AuD

Doctor of Audiology

05 August 2016 - 4.7K Views

I am familiar with Eargo and the idea behind it is to allow some ventilation around and through those little tendrils that cover the end of the hearing aid. It's a good theory and certainly may create less surface contact on the skin in the ear canal. As others have noted, your underlying problem may be a skin issue that needs to be treated. The challenge with the Eargo tendrils is that they can harbor infectuous cells from any skin or fungal infection. You'll have to clean those tendrils thoroughly and often in order to prevent recurrence.  A better option may be a slim tube or receiver in the canal device, both are small behind the ear models that offer MUCH better ventilation that in-the-ear or even behind the ear with custom earmolds. 

See an ENT about an ear exam and ask their advice on managing the moisture and the odor.  Then see your audiologist about whether an open fit device will work well for you. 

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Ellen Nathan

Hearing Healthcare Provider

05 August 2016 - 4.69K Views

A cholesteatoma causes a chronic but scanty offensive smelling ear discharge. In the early stages, the condition is often painless and apart from the discharge, only an impairment of the hearing may be noticed. A cholesteatoma is a serious condition that needs immediate medical attention by an ENT specialist (otolaryngologist).

It could also be infection or some other problem so please see an ENT

Upvote Downvote Reply

Janette Call


04 August 2016 - 4.71K Views

If you have moisture or drainage from your ears I would recommend seeing your doctor or an ENT.  When you have an odor coming from the ear it could be the sign of an infection.

Upvote Downvote Reply

Julie Norin, AuD

Doctor of Audiology

04 August 2016 - 4.72K Views

I'm not familiar with Eargo, but it sounds as though you have a fungal infection. It's best to have a medical consult with a physician or an ENT specialist to get a prescription for an antifungal medication - either drops or oral.

Upvote Downvote Reply


This Website Does Not Provide Medical Advice. All material on this Website is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion of information on this site does not imply any medical advice, recommendation or warranty. Answers provided should not be considered a substitute for the advice of health professionals who are familiar with your specific medical history. Experts who provide advice via "Expert Answers" assume no liability for the accuracy or completeness of, nor any liability to update, the information provided. Expert answers and comments may be removed at any time, at the discretion of the moderators, without notice.