I have the flu and my right ear feels blocked and is ringing constantly. It is impacting on my hearing. Can you please tell me if this is normal?

Andy Bierbaum

Hearing Healthcare Provider in Champaign

09 November 2017 - 6.13K Views

Definitely get in to see your Dr, and if possible I would recommend going straight to the ENT.  As a Board Certified Hearing Instrument Specialist, it's unfortunate how many times I've had people come into my office after seeing their Primary Care Physician with your same symptoms and all they've been given was a prescription for nasal spray.  I am not a Dr and cannot diagnose or prescribe medication, but in the 20+ years in the hearing instrument industry I'm familiar with this and know that rarely do patients come in saying just nasal spray cleared cleared up the problem.

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Raji Parangad

Hearing Healthcare Provider in Wellington Point

09 November 2017 - 6.14K Views

If you have an upper respiratory tract infection there is a chance that your middle ear ventilation is effected due to fluid build up. You should see your local doctor. Get your ears checked for any visible signs of ear infection.  An audiology report will give you more objective evidence.  If you have fluid build up behind the ear drum then it need to be corrected medically.  Your doctor will be able to advise you on that.

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Lynn M Firestone, AuD

Doctor of Audiology in Manchester

09 November 2017 - 6.12K Views

As an audiologist who has been practicing with ENT practices for the last 35 years I would suggest you bypass your family physician and go straight to an ENT practice that also has an audiology department. You want to call and tell them you are experiencing a sudden hearing loss. Oftentimes what seems like a blocked ear due to fluid is often a sudden loss caused by a virus. There is a short window of opportunity to try to reverse the hearing loss, and the sooner you start treatment, the better. And if it turns out that it’s only fluid, that’s easily treated. My advice, better safe than sorry. Good luck to you. 

Lynn Firestone, AuD

Upvote Downvote Reply

Rivka Strom, AuD

Audiologist in Brooklyn

09 November 2017 - 6.13K Views

Its very possible that youre experiencing congestion or a build up of fluid in your ear as a secondary complication to the flu. Its is not uncommon for an upper respiratory infection to spread to the ears. Mention these symptoms to your primary doctor and if it doesnt resolve soon, see an ENT and audiologist. 

Upvote Downvote Reply


No one has commented on this question yet. We'd love to hear from you!

Add a response

Related Questions

This Website Does Not Provide Medical Advice. All material on this Website is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion of information on this site does not imply any medical advice, recommendation or warranty. Answers provided should not be considered a substitute for the advice of health professionals who are familiar with your specific medical history. Experts who provide advice via "Expert Answers" assume no liability for the accuracy or completeness of, nor any liability to update, the information provided. Expert answers and comments may be removed at any time, at the discretion of the moderators, without notice.