Ask a Hearing Expert

We've got answers from hearing healthcare experts. Let us find someone to help.

Expert Answers from Hearing Healthcare Providers

Questions are ranked based on popularity. Answers are provided by members of our professional provider directory. Choose from the available topics below to get started.

Available Topics

Showing Questions Tagged With

What's the difference between an audiologist and a hearing instrument specialist?

Scot frink
Christopher S. Frink, MS
The primary differences between an audiologist and a hearing instrument specialist (or "dispensers") is their level of training and scope of practice.  Audiologists have either a masters degree or doctorate in the field of audiology ( total of 6 - 8 years of higher education), and as such have an extensive amount of training in just about everything... Read more

Who fits hearing aids?

Kathryn Trolenberg, AuD
Hearing aids are fit by licensed professionals, usually audiologists or hearing instrument specialists. An audiologist has typically completed 6-8 years of higher education and holds a Masters or Doctoral degree in Audiology. A hearing instrument specialist has typically completed licensure requirements as defined by the state in which they practice.... Read more

How important is having my hearing aids fit in person versus buying over the internet?

Megan carter
Megan Carter, AuD
It is extremely important to have hearing aids fit in person versus buying over the internet! Hearing aids are custom fit for your ear and for your hearing. When a hearing aid is purchased from the manufacturer, it comes as a blank computer chip. The person fitting the hearing aid takes into account the size and shape of your ear canal as well as the... Read more