Posted by - Sponsored.

Anyone who owns a cellphone can’t be faulted for assuming most hearing aids are powered by rechargeable batteries. You don’t have to buy a new disposable battery and throw out the old one every time your cellphone battery dies, do you? Of course not – you plug your phone in at night and simply recharge it for another day of use. Read more

Posted by - Hearing Aid Batteries.

Hearing Tracker recently surveyed over 500 hearing aid users to help get a better idea of how long hearing aid batteries really last. We asked participants about their battery size, their hearing aid style, what brand of hearing aids they use, and whether they use streaming technologies, etc. Read more

Posted by - General.

Personal sound amplification products, or PSAPs, have gotten a lot of attention recently from the media and federal regulators, not to mention the many venture capitalists funding new PSAP companies. Noting lower costs and improving performance of these unregulated products, they wonder whether PSAPs might be an easier and more affordable solution than hearing aids for the more than 30 million Americans with untreated hearing loss. Read more

Posted by - General.

Common sense and a commitment to taking charge of your own hearing health are the first things you’ll need when you set out to buy a hearing aid. An investment in a good hearing aid is really an investment in your health, so spend whatever time and money you can afford to get the solution that works best for you. Read more

Posted by - General.

Last Thursday’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Public Workshop on whether FDA regulations on hearing aids should be relaxed in an effort to lower costs to consumers, addressed a number of controversies surrounding the disruptive forces in the hearing healthcare marketplace, including (1) consumer demand for more affordable and easily accessible hearing health care and (2) hearing enhancement options that can be purchased outside the traditional hearing health care marketplace. Read more

Posted by - General.

As a recent subscriber to The New York Times, I was thrilled to read the title “Deaf and Hard of Hearing Fight to be Heard” on March 25, 2016. However, after reading the text I was disappointed to see that the author mentions Hard of Hearing People in the title, but fails to include them in his text. Only 1% of deaf people use sign language as their usual means of communication. For hard of hearing people, who comprise the other 99% of people with hearing loss, sign language is just like a foreign language. Read more

Posted by - Finding a Hearing Provider, Hearing Aids.

The majority of advertising on the web, in-print publications, and on the radio and TV devalues the importance of proper hearing evaluation, needs assessment, counseling and overemphasizes discounts and promotions— and promises miraculous results with hearing aids only. Many of these practices can get away with providing a lower standard of care because consumers are focused on the wrong thing—the hearing aid—and they are not as educated (like HLAA members are) about what clinical services they should expect and demand. Read more