Cochlear Nucleus® 7 Cochlear Implant
Product Info, Reviews, Prices, and Videos
4.8 stars from 48 reviews
Cochlear Ltd. is a global company headquartered in Australia, and one of the pioneers in the field of cochlear implants. Cochlear was the first company to be approved in the United States for their multi-channel cochlear implant in 1984. Today they provide a range of implantable solutions including osseointegrated (bone-integrated) implants, acoustic implants, and cochlear implants. Cochlear currently enjoys the dominant cochlear implant market share in the U.S.
Cochlear implants from every manufacturer require two separate components—the internal implant itself which is surgically implanted and the external speech processor. The internal implant is rarely replaced and is expected to last for multiple decades—often for the life of the recipient. However, the external processors are continually improved upon by manufacturers frequently delivering enhancements for the wearer.
The Nucleus® 7 (N7) sound processor is the current behind-the-ear (BTE) sound processor from Cochlear replacing the previous Nucleus 6 (N6) processor. The company also refers to N7 as the “CP 1000” in its literature.
Nucleus 7 (aka N7 or CP1000) sound processors and headpieces from Cochlear Ltd.
Cochlear currently offers two wearing styles for their speech processors including the N7 BTE style introduced in the U.S. in 2017 as well as their new Kanso® 2 off-the-ear (OTE) style introduced in the U.S. in 2020. Either processor style is appropriate both for adults and children depending on the cosmetic and lifestyle preferences of the wearer as well as retention and technology and medical considerations. In this article we’ll focus on the key features of the N7 processor but we’ll also discuss some of the difference between the N7 and the Kanso 2.
Nucleus 7 (CP 1000) Key Features
- Compatibility – The N7 is now compatible with all generations of implants including the Nucleus 22 implant.
- Smaller Size – 25% smaller and 24% lighter than the previous generation of BTE processor, the Nucleus 6 (CP 900 series).
- Rechargeable or standard batteries – Two sizes of rechargeable batteries including compact and standard depending on your needs and preferences. Disposable batteries are also an option and helpful during power outages or when you otherwise don’t have access to power (think camping).
- Improved battery life – Up to 50% increase compared to the Nucleus 6 processor.
- Direct streaming – Allows for direct streaming from compatible Apple and Android devices eliminating the need for a separate remote or other device to enable the connection. Other cochlear implant companies as well as the N6 all require a remote in order to stream sound.
- Bimodal streaming – Capable of wireless bimodal streaming with compatible ReSound™ hearing aids for the non-implanted ear. Bimodal streaming provides simultaneous streaming of sound from smart phones, tablets, etc. to both to the implanted side as well as to the ear with the compatible hearing aid.
- Hybrid hearing capability – Standard feature of the N7. This means that the N7 processor can provide electronic stimulation to the implant only or it can also be configured to provide both electronic stimulation as well as acoustic input for those with viable residual hearing after implantation.
- On-board control – Standard push button on the processor allowing for program changes, starting/stopping streaming and turning the processor on/off.
- Telecoil built-in – Ideal for those visiting looped meeting rooms, houses of worship, theatres, etc.
- Dual microphones – Dual microphones enable directional focus, and can help improve speech understanding in noise.
- SmartSound® iQ and SCAN – Sound processing strategies that automatically align signal processing depending on the listener’s environment. For example, in noise the N7 will automatically engage noise reduction and directional microphones with the intent of improving listening ease.
- Smart phone app – Cochlear offers a smartphone app with a comprehensive set of features. Keep reading for details.
The Nucleus Smart App is a smartphone app available for compatible Apple and Android devices.
Nucleus Smart App
The Nucleus Smart App is a smartphone app available for compatible Apple and Android devices that provides many helpful features, including:
- Program and volume changes
- Activation of streaming
- Viewing of battery status and N7 status
- “Find my Processor” to help locate your lost processor
- Treble/bass and sensitivity changes (enabled by Audiologist)
- “Hearing Tracker” feature provides coil off information and time spent in speech (important for caregivers)
- Remote care available via “Remote Check”. This may be important for those living at a distance from clinic or otherwise have an inability to visit clinic regularly. It should be noted that this is only available with clinics that have implemented this service within their clinic.
Cochlear N7 vs Kanso 2 processors
As mentioned above, Cochlear provides a choice of two different processor styles depending on your needs and preferences. The Off-the-Ear (OTE) style from Cochlear was first introduced with the Kanso in 2016 and now the new Kanso 2 in 2020. For some, the OTE wearing style offers a clear cosmetic advantage and may also provide an “ease of use” factor.
The Cochlear Kanso 2 is a cochlear implant that is worn off the ear.
The N7 and the new Kanso 2 share the same technology platform and the sound processing is very similar. For example, both have dual microphones and allow for direct streaming. However, there are some key differences between the two processors that you may want to keep in mind if you’re making a choice between the N7 and Kanso 2.
Why Kanso 2 is better than the Nuclues
- Small and lightweight – The Kanso 2 is the smallest and lightest processor Cochlear has produced making it likely to be more cosmetically appealing for many people. It’s smaller than it’s predecessor the Kanso.
- East of use – Simple recharging of the device as there’s no removal of the battery. The entire processor is simply placed within the included charger. This may be beneficial to those with vision and/or dexterity issues. This is a big advantage of the older Kanso which relied on disposable batteries for power.
- Moisture resistance – Kanso 2 has a higher moisture and dust resistance rating than the N7 (IP 68 vs IP 57) due to sealed battery compartment and covered mics. However, both the N7 and the Kanso 2 have the Aqua+ option to accommodate better moisture resistance.
Why Nucleus 7 is better than the Kanso 2:
- Implant compatibility – The Kanso 2 is not compatible with the older Nucleus 22 implant, however, it is compatible with all other Nucleus implants.
- Rechargeability – Kanso 2 is rechargeable but does not allow for standard batteries which may be an issue if the power in your home is interrupted.
- Retention – The Kanso 2 is smaller and lighter than its predecessor but depending on the magnet strength needed (and subsequent weight of the processor) retention may be problematic for some. That is, only the magnet holds the processor on the head unlike the N7 which has the benefit of the earhook to aid in retention. This isn’t a change from the original Kanso and is inherent to any OTE device and will also be dependent on the magnet required based upon your implant.
- Telecoil – There is no telecoil capability with the Kanso 2 without the use of an accessory.
- FM compatibility – For parents it’s important to keep in mind that the Kanso 2 will accommodate an FM system but only via the Mini Mic 2+ where the N7 allows for a connection on the device itself.
- Color choices – There are five color options with Kanso 2 and six options with N7.
- Hybrid hearing – Hybrid hearing (electronic stimulation + acoustic) is not possible with Kanso 2.
- Onboard controls – There is no program button on the Kanso 2 so any changes to program, volume, etc. have to be made via the CR 310 remote or via the Smart App. This is a deliberate departure from the previous Kanso with the intent of making the device easier to wear.
Nucleus 6 vs Nucleus 7
The Nucleus 7 (N7) speech processor offers several improvements over its predecessor, the Nucleus 6. The N7 is designed for use with both children and adults and provides the most flexibility between the two wearing style options (BTE versus OTE). The key differences between the N7 and N6 that will likely have the most meaning when wearing the device are:
- Reduced weight and size which can help improve cosmetics as well as comfort.
- Direct streaming – no need to utilize a phone clip or Mini Mic as compatible Apple and Android phones can be paired easily as can Bluetooth laptops, tablets, etc. Currently, Cochlear is the only company to offer direct streaming.
- Improved battery life meaning that you’ll likely get more wearing hours with a single charge. The battery life, of course, will depend on the type of battery you’re using (standard rechargeable, compact rechargeable or disposable), the programming of your processor as well as other factors such as time spent streaming.
For those of you who are interested in pursuing a cochlear implant for treatment of your hearing loss, please keep in mind that there are many things to consider when choosing an implant manufacturer and speech processor beyond technology and features of the device. You are encouraged to visit not only the manufacturers’ website but also talk with a company representative to get answers to your questions.
Most companies have a dedicated team trained specifically to help you make the best decision. The companies can also likely refer you to a recipient in your area so that you can talk to someone who is wearing a cochlear implant. Also discuss with your audiologists and surgeons about their preferences asking for reasons behind those preferences. Regardless of your choice, the improvements that cochlear implants can provide for the appropriate candidate are worth pursuing.
For those of you looking to upgrade from an older speech processor to a new one, again, speak with a company representative and your audiologist to help make your decision. Also, be sure to take advantage of any insurance services that the company may offer to help guide you through the reimbursement process.
Nucleus 7 Physical Specifications
|Cochlear Nucleus® 7|
|IP Rating (Liquid)||7|
|IP Rating (Solid)||5|
|Made For iPhone||
Lowest iOS Version
Push Button Options
|Water Resistant Coating|
Model details listed above may be incomplete or inaccurate. For full specifications please refer to product specifications published by the original equipment manufacturer. To suggest a correction to the details listed, please email email@example.com.
Nucleus 7 Technology Details
|Cochlear Nucleus® 7|
|SmartSound® iQ with SCAN|
Technology specifications listed above may be incomplete or inaccurate. For full specifications please refer to product specifications published by the original equipment manufacturer. To suggest a correction to the details listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nucleus 7 Accessories
CR310 Remote Control
- Remote Control
- Nucleus® 7
Nucleus® Smart App
- Remote Control
- Smartphone App
- Nucleus® 7
- Remote Control
- Bluetooth Streamer
- Smartphone Streamer + Hands Free
- Nucleus® 7
- TV Streamer
- Nucleus® 7
Nucleus 7 Videos
Nucleus 7 Reviews
Hearing aid reviews are fundamentally different from reviews for most other consumer electronic products. The reason is because individual factors, like degree of hearing loss, have a profound effect one's success and overall satisfaction with the product. When purchasing a hearing aid, you'll need to consider more than just your hearing outcome ... Continue readingWrite a Review
No reviews match those filters.
Try broadening your search.
Hearing Tracker uses a ten-question survey to assess consumer feedback on hearing aids. The percentage bars below reflect the average ratings provided per question.
Note: Original answers provided in star rating format.
I am bilateral CI and this is my third processor. I started with the N5 and then when I went bilateral I got N-6s and about a year ago up to N7s. The improvements with each uprade have been significant but the b luetooth connectivity with the phone,, TV and mini-mic are total game changers. From Telephone being my most difficult hearing environment to the absolute easiest and clearest with most everyone except diffiucult accents. For the past ten years I was president of the Adult Loss of Hearing Assn--ALOHA in Tucson and we walked with many peers through the implant process. Clearly to me the most important choice you make is the surgeon.
Part of the scare when I was considering being implanted was that professionals said it it doesn't work you will be totally deaf. Well, I had no complications and outstanding results in both ears. At ALOHA i have walked with 3 peers who had problems and needed to be implanted. One of them twice. When they got through that al were very happy they made the decision. Since I am a vet with 100% service connection for hearing I get my follow along care from the VA. My implants I used Medicare because I could do that locally but Tucson VA is only a Programing Center. When I got my first implant there was only one surgeon doing them in Tucson now there are eight. What is very imporant regardless of brand or sugeon is to really engage in the rehad--friends with implants or participation in a peer group such as ALOHA or HLAA is important. ALOHA is significant because it is the only peer support.discussion group that meets weekly. Now that their meetings are available virtually as a result of adapting to Covid19 I can participate from North Carolina where I now live. Everyone's journey and expereince with CI's is unique. I personally know many who are on that journey and know of no-one that has reqreted the choice. I was very fortunate and have had no problems with process. CIls like hearing aids do ot restoe normal hearing--but if you get quality state of the art equiptment and few friends to walk the journey with you. You will have access to a full social life.. You will hear well on the phone and with blue tooth connections to TV and in goup setting that have a loop. You will still be challenged in social situations and when some is talking from more than 6 feet away. I am 83 and hear better now than when I was 45. Actually even better than five years ago. The implanted part is the same but the processors are so much improved.
Rechargeable batteries do not last a full day. I like the new features and the connection to my Smartphone. That is very convenient. It is also good that it is smaller - does not irritate my ear. But I've had to switch to disposable batteries that last longer.
I have had this implant for 2 years and I have nothing but praise. I can enjoy music via Bluetooth. With my other pathetic ear, I have 93% word comprehension. To me it’s nothing but a miracle. Very robust. I wore this under a hard hat in construction the first year. Great support. Rechargeable batteries are way overpriced when they need replacement how.
The Cochlear Nucleus 7 has been a life changing device. It supplies a) consistent, clear sound quality, b) reliable connectivity and seamless pairing with a my resound hearing aid and i phone, c) long life battery and back up battery source power for instances of power loss from storms, d) the ability to have an MRI and e) fantastic customer support. I know Cochlear has my back and can participate in my world like never before, effortlessly. I now enjoy podcasts, music, live entertainment, phone/conference calls and meetings. I'm back "on" in my world thanks to Cochlear Nucleus 7.
Love all features of my Cochlear Nucleus 7 (N7), The best feature by far is the ability to again talk on the phone and UNDERSTAND what is said. Paired with my iPhone, all calls are streamed to both of my cochlear implants, so I hear the caller's voice in both ears. Most importantly, I don't just hear the voice, I UNDERSTAND what the caller is saying. Since I've received my N7's, I've made and received more phone calls than I have in the past 15 years.
I really like my Cochlear Nucleus 7. I was upgraded to a 7 in February. I have had an implant since 2014 and am very thankful that I was implanted after wearing hearing aids for about 10 yrs. I thank God for my Doctor and his team for introducing me to a whole new world and supporting me during this journey.
I am now able to understand what people are saying, rather than just hearing fuzzy talking. My N7 is so comfortable, lighter weight than previous processors. It can stream phone calls and music directly to my hearing without any intermediary, external devices, which is amazing. I love the longer battery life, as well as being able to control volume and other settings directly from my iphone, rather than having to carry around a separate remote. The N7 has such wonderful advancements!
The basic device is excellent. The accessories disappoint.
I love everything about the N7! I love that it streams to my iphone, can talk on the phone freely without any complications (most of the time), can hear and understand music more clearly, can engage with more confidence in social gatherings and meetings.
I wished the N7 had nothing on my ear.
Love the fact that with my N7 I can use only a 50mm cable and also reduce magnet strength from 5 to 3. Makes life simpler.
I love the bluetooth to my phone and other devices. No need for another device. I also love the new Forward Focus feature, I seldom change my programs and hear very well with my processor, however, Forward Focus makes it so easy to hear in noisy situations.
What I like about my Nucleus 7 is the fact that I can stream directly to my processors from my iPhone. With one device I can make adjustments to volume, program, receive phone calls, or be reminded that my battery needs to be changed for recharging. I also like the fact that Cochlear has developed the Cochlear CoPilot app so I can use it directly from my iPhone for individual ear practice. I used to have to hook up my microphone to my computer to practice. Thanks Cochlear for all your work in helping hear.
I'm generally happy. Do wish there was a way to understand better when people are talking through masks. Covid19 has created problems.
Love the Bluetooth connectivity and the ease of the Nucleus Smart app, truly ideal!
I love being able to hear and understand people without having to lipread. For me, I dislike the frequent mappings to fine tune my processor.
The results of better hearing I use for my phone, car radio. Just a new and better life style
Tighter fit around ear or colorful boot over battery like N6.
I love everything about my N7’s. The Bluetooth is incredible.
I like the battery life.the 4 programs especially the scan program I use it a lot.
And there is nothing to dislike.
I love mine! It works even better than I thought it would! Thank you so much for making it available!
I just love my Cochlear 7 it has really been helpful to me hearing is so much better
Too Soon to tell. Need a little more time to get to know the N7.
I am very happy with my N7 (bilateral). In particular, the bluetooth connectivity with my phone is a amazing addition. I've eliminated an additional accessory (the phone clip)...one less item in my pockets.
It is dependable. As long as I switch rechargeable battery daily, it never runs out.
It is comfortable to wear, does not fall off as long as I have my "ear hugger" attached. I use glasses as well.
It is bluetooth compatible with my phone and Ipad.
I recently got a compatible Resound hearing aide in my other ear so I hear bluetooth from both ears at the same time, rather than using two separate apps.
I use the cochlear TV piece that attaches to my TV and allows me to easily stream to my CI.
Clarity of speech, ability to stream with my Resound hearing aid.
I am a bilateral 65+ male, with hereditary Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL). I upgraded from the Cochlear N6, and have found the N7 a great Cochlear Implant. The sounds are crisper and programs work wonders in a noisy environment. It's built-in Bluetooth capability allows me to easily receive phone calls directly to my CI. Along with other available assistive devices available from Cochlear, it's a true game changer for me. Battery life is much improved with this model.
Love the option to use my iPhone to control the volume control, check battery life, etc. I like the look of the N7 processor.
Battery life is amazing,
I use N7 to listen to music, watch movies and YouTube wirelessly!
For an over the ear CI, this is exceptional!
I like the clarity that it lets you hear with. Also the ease of adjusting it to the different levels and settings with my I-phone . And the direct steaming to my I-phone during phone calls. It is probably the most state of the art hearing device available today.
Works very well. Easy to use. very user friendly.
The cochlear inplant help me to hear in different environment and noise to quiet .
I like the blue tooth capabilities that allow my iPhone to stream directly to my processor, and the different settings and adjustments that I can make to improve my hearing in noisy environments. I like how light my processor is so it is comfortable on my ear. I like being able to use my iPhone as my remote so I don't have to carry around another piece of technology.
The most awesome thing about the N7 over previous generations is the direct streaming of your phone's audio. Initially just available in iPhone, but later Android support was added. It's is automatic and no extra accessories are needed. Think built in phone clip. The automatic Scan program works great for me and it my default program.
I love my Nucleus 7. It has changed my life with the ability of streaming phone calls directly into to processors. I can now take any phone call without worry of hearing the other person.
I love the connectivity and control with my iPhone. I always carried my phone previously anyway, and now I easily talk, listen and change settings to maximize my hearing. Thank you Cochlear for giving me a new lease on social interaction!
I love streaming directly into my N7 devices. The app on my iPhone is a great benefit, and allows for multiple adjustments in different environments outside and inside, including the ability to directly stream via my mini-mic from my computer, iPad or TV.
I’ve had a Cochlear Implant since 1990. Each time a new processor becomes available, it is always an upgrade. The N7 is no exception! I especially like that it is Bluetooth compatible with my iPhone.
Streaming directly from my iphone is so awesome. I can really enjoy music more easily and I have wonderful conversations over the phone!!
can hear better than with hearing aids...
It is very clear & speech is I proved from my N6.
Amazing technology. I love the audio streaming from my phone. There is nothing I dislike about it.
I do believe I hear better and LOVE Bluetooth. The phone has always been difficult for me . Blue tooth make talking on phone a pleasure.
I am a bi-lateraI CI user. I upgraded to the Nucleus 7's from the Nucleus 5's that I had worn for about 10 years. The Nucleus 7 has many new features that many people like. I tend to use the basic setting all of the time and don't need to make many adjustments. The main feature I use is the tele-coil, which is better positioned in the Nucleus 7. I rarely think about my hearing; I just listen and follow conversations and music just fine. Most people are not aware that I have a hearing loss unless I tell them.
Because the Nucleus 7 has a feature that will connect your Iphone with your Nucleus 7 you can hear on your cell phone without having any other device you have to connect to. It allows you to use your Iphone just like a hearing person would on their cell phone. No extra device needed.
With the Nucleus 6 one had to also purchase a mini-microphone to connect with their cell phone to hear on the cell phone. Originally the mini-mic was intended to hear in a group setting where the speaker would wear your mini-microphone and the Cochlear implanted person could stand 25 to 80 feet away from the speaker and still hear them.
Very lengthy process to get to where I can understand. At a year and a half still do not understand tv without tv streamer. Still can’t understand in a crowd. And have recently been advised I need a second CI but am not willing at this point.
Use the form below to leave a quick comment about the Cochlear Nucleus® 7. Alternatively, consider providing more thorough feedback using our hearing aid review system. If you review your hearing aids using our review system, we'll send you a $5 promotional credit for use in our hearing aid battery shop as a special thank you. Review your hearing aids now.