nil I feel like I am hearing my heartbeat in my ears. It's driving me crazy. What should I do?

I feel like I am hearing my heartbeat in my ears. It's driving me crazy. What should I do?

Doctor of Audiology in Baltimore

22 March 2018 - 3.58K Views

What you report sounds like pulsatile tinnitus, which is sometimes due to an increase in blood pressure, but can also be a symptom of other, more serious medical issues. I recommend you follow up with an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist for medical assessment.

Upvote (2) Downvote Reply

Audiologist in Overland Park

22 March 2018 - 3.59K Views

I would recommend you schedule a diagnostic hearing evaluation with an audiologist and then they can determine if an ENT/Otologic consultation would be warranted following the examination.  In most cases, if it isn't related to impacted cerumen/wax which should be accommodated by the audiologist, a medical referral would be justified. 

Upvote (1) Downvote Reply

Doctor of Audiology in Layton

23 March 2018 - 3.54K Views

See an audiologist and probably also an ENT physician. It could be due to a number of issues from wax clogging your ears enough to make your pulse echo, fluid trapped behind your eardrums, high blood pressure, or something more serious. A thorough look in your ears, immittance testing, and hearing testing may find the reason, and it may or may not need the expertise of an ENT who can order imaging, prescribe medication, or perform surgery if that’s needed. We really do work as a team to figure these things out and try to get that annoying pulsatile sound out of your ears!

Upvote Downvote Reply

Hearing Healthcare Provider in Wellington Point

22 March 2018 - 3.58K Views

You need to see your doctor,  get a diagnostic audiogram done. There could be underlying medical condition.

Upvote Downvote Reply


Matt Watson
Matt Watson 23 March 2018
It sounds like it is most likely blood pressure related. I would speak to your family physician first to rule that out, then have a hearing assessment afterwards.
Syed Ahmed
Syed Ahmed 29 April 2018
Generally, when there is low frequency hearing loss, it is likely to hear heart beats as Pulsatile tinnitus. Heart beats are low frequency sounds around 256 -512 Hz. If not, then Vascular origin is to be sorted out by Physician / ENT
Add a response

Related Questions

This Website Does Not Provide Medical Advice. All material on this Website is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion of information on this site does not imply any medical advice, recommendation or warranty. Answers provided should not be considered a substitute for the advice of health professionals who are familiar with your specific medical history. Experts who provide advice via "Expert Answers" assume no liability for the accuracy or completeness of, nor any liability to update, the information provided. Expert answers and comments may be removed at any time, at the discretion of the moderators, without notice.